Tuesday, March 8, 2011

FaceFight

Ahh, the age of Facebook.

It certainly has it's merits; catching up with old friends, staying close with those who are far away, learning about people from all over the world, etc. And, it has it's drawbacks. Someone printed a list of 100 reasons they hated Facebook and I'm pretty sure I agreed with 97 of them, including "I hate people who comment on everything" right on top of "I hate people who never comment". :)

I have issues with people having a conversation that has nothing to do with what I've typed or asking "what does that mean?" when I've posted a clever movie quote. IT'S A MOVIE!!! I want to scream. Or, GANDHI SAID THAT, DUMBASS!!! Though, I'm sure Gandhi never called anyone dumbass.

I think it's safe to say that I have a love/hate relationship with the social network.

Recently, I've been trying to follow the protests that are happening around the country over state budgets. I am incensed that the mainstream media is not covering it in any real way. Some news programs have mentioned the protests (now in week 4!!!) but, none have shown video. Egypt protests for a few weeks and it's all over the news. Wisconsin protests and it's on Egypt's news, but not ours. There is something very wrong with this.

Anyway, this post is not about that; not really.

I was following a story on the MoveOn page on Facebook, commenting and liking here and there, when the thread was completely hijacked by trolls (trolls that, by the way, were all Facebook friends, I checked). I was still trying to be civil, when one of them said "I wonder why I haven't been kicked off of here yet?" and another replied something about how Liberals are slow and we probably didn't notice. So I said, calmly "Maybe we are just trying to have a rational discussion; silly us". And left it at that. At that point, I was pretty much done with the thread, because nothing productive was coming out of it, just these idiots getting their jollies by ripping us "stupid liberals".

But, of course I had to check back later, because I obsess about minutae and someone had commented "Hey, (commenter), (commenter) and Amy, why don't you act like real Christians?"

And I was like, WHAT? When did I ever profess to being a Christian? Ummm, NEVER?!?!!! And this is what I hate about religion, especially holier than thou born again and evangelical Christianity. WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE, CALLING ME A CHRISTIAN, LADY?!?!?!!! IF I WANTED TO BE A CHRISTIAN, YOU'D BETTER BELIEVE I'D BE A HELL OF A SIGHT BETTER THAN YOU AT IT!!!! WHY DON'T YOU PUT UP SOME BILLBOARDS OF ABORTED FETUSES OR ONES TELLING US THAT THE WORLD IS GOING TO END IN MAY????!!!! DON'T YOU HAVE SOME GAYS TO HATE OR SOMETHING??!?!?!???



I'd been called names in my life, but I had never been so insulted in all my life as when some numbskull called me a Christian!

" I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" ~ Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment